Wardrobe Workout: Week 1
Dresses are for lazy people. I should know — I have a closet full of them. With dresses I don’t have to think too hard about putting together an outfit. I just roll out of bed (after hitting snooze approximately 23 times), throw on a dress, and I’m ready for the office.
During a recent closet cleanup I realized that because of my love affair with the snooze button, a lot of my clothes are going to waste. Right then and there I decided to give my wardrobe a much needed workout. That means planning at least five outfits during the weekend, so I can keep my usual morning routine without ending up in the same dresses week in and week out.
It’s been going quite well so far. Just for kicks, here are the outfits I wore last week — not a single snooze-button dress in sight. (Also, holy awkward poses, Batman!)
Vintage Monday. These clothes basically came from other people’s closets.
- Ruffled floral-print top – made from a vintage dress that I had altered into a top and a skirt
- Purple skirt – hand-me-down from my mom who wore it in the early 90s
- Rust leather belt – vintage Esprit from my mom’s attic
- Cosmic latte (yes, it’s an official color!) peep-toe slingbacks – Vincci
- Purple chiffon flower hair clip – Montip
Preppy Tuesday. I may have stolen this look from Cameron on House.
- Gray puff-sleeved polo shirt – Uniqlo
- Black lace-back vest – Express
- Dark gray slim-fit pants – Marks & Spencer
- Red t-strap heels – LeDonne
- Red and silver plastic hairbands – Montip
Corporate-ish Wednesday. This is as corporate as I’m going to get without suiting up.
- Black stretch button-down shirt – I’ve had it for years and I can’t remember where I got it
- Ruched purple pencil skirt – Forever 21
- Black skinny belt – Daiso
- Snakeskin t-strap wedges – Charles & Keith
- Cream felt rose hair tie – Bugis Street
Urban Thursday. Skinny jeans aren’t just for skinny people, you know.
- Gray soft knit blazer – Urban Outfitters
- Gray henley camisole – Uniqlo
- Dark denim skinny jeans – Unarosa
- Black suede slingback ankle boots – Janylin
- Silver plastic hairband – Montip
Casual Friday. Our dress code is pretty lax, though, so I can wear this even if it’s not Friday.
- Coral red cardigan – Veeko
- White tank top – Old Navy
- Black & white printed miniskirt – Forever 21
- Black bandage wedges – Image Turn
- Black bow hairband – Montip